Crispy tostones are one of my favorite Latin American side dishes! Green plantain slices are twice fried until golden, crunchy and absolutely delicious. You won’t be able to eat just one!
- 3 large green plantains
- ⅓ cup vegetable, canola, grapeseed, avocado or peanut oil
- Kosher salt or sea salt flakes, to taste
Start by slicing the plantains. Cut off the ends of each plantain and discard them. Use the tip of a paring knife to slit the peel lengthwise, then cut the plantain in half. Using your thumb (or a spoon), lift the edges of the peel to help loosen it from the plantain. Remove and discard the peel.
Once peeled, slice the plantains at an angle, into 1 to 1 ½-inch pieces.
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the sliced plantains and fry for about 1 minute per side, or until they soften slightly and gain some color.
Remove them from the pan and, using a tostonera press or a flat bottomed ramekin (or glass), gently press each slice until about 1/4 inch thick.
Return the pieces to the hot pan, and fry until crispy, about 2 minutes per side.
Transfer the tostones to a cooling rack (or a paper towel lined plate) and season generously with salt while they are still hot.
Air Fryer Instructions
If you prefer to fry your tostones in the air fryer, follow these instructions:
Want to bake your tostones instead?
- Preheat air fryer to 400ºF.
- Peel and slice plantains and place in the air fryer in a single layer (working in batches if needed). Spray with cooking spray.
- Cook for 3 minutes. Flip the slices, spray with cooking spray, and cook again for 2 minutes.
- Flatten the plantain slices and return them to the air fryer. Spray once more, then fry for 5 minutes, flip, spray and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Salt while they are still hot and serve!
Leftovers should be kept in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the oven, on a rack set inside a baking sheet, at 450ºF. Should take 4 to 5 minutes for them to get hot.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Peel and slice the plantains. Toss with oil.
- Arrange on a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the plantain slices and return to the baking sheet. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Salt and serve!
Calories: 214kcal, Carbohydrates: 29g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Sodium: 4mg, Potassium: 447mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 13g, Vitamin A: 1009IU, Vitamin C: 16mg, Calcium: 3mg, Iron: 1mg