This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
I’m so glad chili season is upon us!
For this chili, I used both the RO*TEL chunky diced tomatoes with green chilies and the Hunt’s crushed tomatoes that I purchased at my local Walmart. RO*TEL has a mild variety of that same product, so if you’re not into spicy food, just get that instead.
I like using canned tomatoes because they make my life so much easier! I’m already so stressed with everything else, at least dinner making needs to be semi- therapeutic, right?
I also chose to use black eyed peas because I’m kinda obsessed with them. They are my mom’s favorite, but I avoided them during my whole childhood. When I finally tried them, I was hooked! Now, I always have a couple of cans in my pantry to use in salads, stews and chili. I honestly think they paired perfectly with the sweet potatoes!
If you know me, you are probably really surprised that I didn’t add any protein to this chili.
I got so inspired by all the pretty bright colors in the chili, with all the veggies, that I really didn’t think to add any meat. However, if you still think you need your protein fix, I think ground turkey would go great with all these flavors!
Meat or no meat, this chili is amazing, healthy and is perfect for those cold nights when all you are craving is a bowl of comfort food.
Don’t forget to add a lot of toppings. My favorites are sour cream and a lot of shredded cheddar cheese! ?
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1 large yellow pepper, finely diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (10oz) can RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (Chunky)
- 2 cups Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 (15.25oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15.8oz) can black eyed peas, drained
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup vegetable (or chicken) broth
- Toppings: fresh cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream
Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months!