Brazilian Potato Salad (with Apples, Raisins and Walnuts)
A classic Brazilian potato and apple salad recipe, very popular during the holiday season. Tropical flavors come together making this a great side dish to serve all year long!
What is on your picnic must-have list?
For me it’s a Creamy Potato Salad. There’s nothing as yummy and easy as a good potato salad, and this one is extra special with green apples, raisins and walnuts for some crunch!
I hope you guys had a nice long weekend and Memorial Day!
Tim, Lola and I went to Central Park to enjoy the sunny day and do a picnic! We packed our food in our nice picnic basket and took the subway to the park. Tim was a little nervous, since it was Lola’s first time on the subway, but she did great and stayed quiet on my lap during the whole trip. (Technically you can only carry a dog on the subway if he/she is inside a carrier, but Lola is too big to fit in a carrier, so we took our chances! Thankfully, nobody said anything and mission “Take Lola on the Subway” was a success!)
First thing I did when we got to the park was kick off my flip flops and feel the grass on my toes. Oh, isn’t that the best feeling ever? I think it had been a year since I walked barefoot on the grass.
After I got tired of walking around feeling the grass, we set up our to-go picnic table with the patriotic plates I bought this week (They are beautiful, aren’t they? Please tell my husband they are beautiful!) and we ate our lunch, which was the delicious potato salad that I’m sharing with you guys today, plus some crackers and some homemade lemon iced tea.
(Isn’t my family lovely? They both need some grooming, but they are lovely nevertheless!)
I seriously hope we get more opportunities to be outdoors and do picnics this year. It’s hard when you work weekends, like I do, but we are determined to try!
It would also be great if we found an apartment with a deck or a backyard… Oh, all my grilling dreams would come true!
But back to the Creamy Potato Salad: please feel free to customize the vegetables (sometimes I add carrots!) and/or amount of mayo in the recipe to your likings. You can also substitute it for the Light version if you’re watching calories!
P.S. Wanna keep in touch? Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest to stay up to date with my posts! If you end up making one of my recipes, I would love to see it! Just take a photo and post it on your preferred Social Media and tag me or use the hashtag #oliviascuisine!
Brazilian Potato Salad with Apples, Walnuts and Raisins
- 3 large potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 2 green apples, cored, peeled and cubed
- 1 Red Delicious apple, cored and sliced (to decorate)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup raisins, hydrated
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dill or chives, chopped to decorate
- Mixed greens , for plating
- Transfer the potatoes to a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, season with salt and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 to 20 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl full with iced water and wait a few minutes until they are cool enough to handle. You should then be able to peel the potatoes with your hands! (Alternatively, you could leave the skin on if it doesn't bother you).
- Cube the potatoes and reserve until they cool further. In the meantime, toss the cubed green apples with the lemon juice.
- Once potatoes are cool, combine with the green apples, raisins and mayo and stir until everything is combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight, as this salad is best served cold!
- Before serving, add the dill or chives and the chopped walnuts. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Plate the potato salad on some mixed greens and decorate with the sliced apple!