I don’t know about you, but I am crazy for easy one pot recipes, like this One Pot Creamy Fettuccine with Spicy Sausage. In spite of the long name, this dish – made with the aid of the new RAGÚ® Homestyle Thick and Hearty Traditional Sauce – is ready in less than 20 minutes!
(A big thanks for RAGÚ®, who is sponsoring this delicious post today!)
I know I’ve been a little MIA lately and I’m sorry for that. I missed you guys terribly, but I just had too much going on and no time to get in the kitchen. That, of course, meant lots of take out and – gasp! – frozen meals that are anything but good for you! Or, in that case, me.
I knew I hit rock bottom when I told my husband that I was craving healthy food. I mean, it is understandable to try to have a healthy style, but nobody craves healthy food, right?!? It was definitely my body screaming at me, begging me to stop feeding it pizza and hot pockets.
Now, I know pasta is not what people think as a healthy meal, but 1) it can be fairly nutritious and 2) you really can’t beat how quick and tasty it is. Not to mention, this convenient one pot dish means less time in the sink washing dishes, which is one of my least favorite tasks ever!
In 20 minutes we were enjoying bowls of this delicious creamy fettuccine while watching
our my favorite show: Game of Thrones! (Don’t worry, I won’t spoil anything, in case you are not caught up. But I’m just addicted to GoT and can’t miss a single episode!)
There are so many possibilities when one pot pasta is concerned, so you should see this recipe more like a guide, as it can be tailored to your preferences.
Me? I’m a lover of all things creamy. And I’m going through a major sausage phase! So it was a no-brainer that this one pot pasta creation would include those elements.
The results: an incredible rich and epic fettuccine dish that beats any Sunday take out. There is really no excuse to not cook at home when it’s as easy as throwing 5 ingredients in a pot and calling it a day!
Quick and easy meals usually can’t happen without the aid of quality ingredients. In this case, my powerful sidekick is the new RAGÚ® Homestyle Thick and Hearty Traditional Sauce!
This delicious sauce not only adds tons of flavors but also helps to thicken the creamy sauce.
The whole point of an one pot dish is to spend less time in the kitchen, so I completely trust RAGÚ® to do the work for me. They do not take short cuts when making their sauces and guarantee a delicious product without artificial flavors, artificial colors or high fructose corn syrup. All that is left for me to do is open the lid and pour the sauce into my dish! Oh yeah, it really doesn’t get easier than this!
As I find to be the case with most creamy pasta dishes, this One Pot Creamy Fettuccine with Spicy Sausage is better when freshly prepared, as the texture changes considerably as it begins to cool.
That being said, sometimes leftovers happen and they shouldn’t go to waste. I strongly advise against the microwave and I usually reheat this dish in a pan, adding a little bit more cream to recreate the original magical creaminess. Yes, the texture will be different, the fettuccine won’t be al dente anymore, but the flavor will be there, I promise! ?
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 12 ounces spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound dried fettucine pasta
- 2 cups water
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- 1½ cups RAGÚ® Homestyle Thick and Hearty Traditional Sauce
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano to serve
- In a large pot, over medium high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic until fragrant and softened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sausage and cook, breaking apart with a wooden spoon (or potato masher), until browned and cooked through.
- Add the fettuccine, water, heavy cream, tomato sauce, basil and season generously with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, give it a good stir to ensure the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Turn the heat down to medium, cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the pasta is al dente.
- Once the pasta is tender, remove the lid and turn the heat up again. Cook until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil and parmesan cheese and serve.